I know, crazy 2 posts in 2 days, don't get used to it :)
So a friend asked a question on fb today "We should be focusing on Christ, but instead, we spend the majority of the Christmas season LYING to our children. Will my child's unfounded faith in Santa, the Toothfairy, and the Easter Bunny that I have instilled in them harm the faith in God that I work so diligently to root?"
So, here are my two cents.
I was taught to believe in Santa. All through grade school I had a best friend who didn't believe in Santa. She would tell me there was no Santa and I would tell her yes there was. We went on and on until finally one day I asked my mom about Santa. I still remember we were in my mom's bathroom getting ready for school. She closed the door and let me in on the secret. I have to admit I was a bit disappointed but really more in the fact that I was wrong and not that there was no Santa. I then got excited because now I was in the know :) I now got to play along and pretend for my little sister.
Although my faith in God has had its roller coaster effect I don't correlate that to me believing in Santa and then finding out the truth. See there is a Santa just not how I had imagined as a child. There is no jolly, big elf who comes down my chimney to leave me gifts and then fly away on his 8 tiny reindeer. Santa in my house as a child was actually a dad and mom who loved their girls so much and wanted to let their imaginations play.
Now as a mom of 4 we have 2 who know the truth and 2 who are too young. Our girls found out the truth about Santa and don't show any signs of disaster because of it. They play along for their little brothers still and don't hold the lie of Santa against us. When the time comes and my boys ask me about Santa I will tell them the truth too, that Santa is actually just Mommy and Daddy.
I think that part of being a child is letting your imagination play and having fun! I let my boys dress up as Raphael Ninja Turtle and Spiderman, my oldest son has an imaginary friend who is named Collin and comes over to play. To me Santa, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny are just that pretend. Kids have to grow up too fast anyway no reason to pop a bubble before it's ready.
Christmas is a celebration with family and friends. The focus on Jesus has to be instilled in the home everyday and not just on Christmas and Easter. My friend who posted that comment believes that so I am not attacking her. I believe that if you are teaching your children everyday about Jesus and God then their faith will not waiver because of playing pretend about Santa.
So that is my two cents, take it or leave it!
1 comment:
Agreed! I believed in Santa and never had an issue either! Its all in the joy of a season with snow, goodies and a jolly ole man. The birth of Christ is something we as Christians celebrate year round, not at Christmas!
Post a Comment