Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Keep or Toss??

I don't know about you but expiration dates on food mean something to me. My hubby cracks up at me because I treat the date like it is law. If it is 1 day past the date I don't want to eat it. I'm so bad that sometimes I treat the Sell By Date the same as an expiration date. Now I know that not everything goes bad on that date but I tend to error on the cautious side. I would rather throw it out and have to buy another one than eat something that has the chance of making me sick.

The other day I ran across a blog that was talking about cleaning out the fridge. She was saying how she didn't know how long stuff stays good before she should toss it. She went on to say that she had found a site that gave time frames for all kinds of food. I looked into it and think I will be referencing it if I have questions. For example, milk unopened, stays good about a week after the sell by date. So, maybe now I won't waste food that is still good just a couple days past the sell by date :) You can check out the blog here at Happy Housewife and the site Still Tasty.

Now I feel like I need to go clean my fridge :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am the exact same way Missy!! I am awful. But I do think if its unopened its a bit different... but still with milk, I don't let it go past the date either way. I smell it and if its smells yucky, bye bye!

Donna said...

Thanks for that site. I added it to my bookmarks to reference in the future.

Kelly T said...

I'm the same way, also, and Ben gives me a hard time, too. Glad you shared this new site.

Have to share a story... when we were in Utah last time my sis-in-law gave me some kids' yogurt for Sophie. I opened it and thought it looked a little funny, then checked the date and it was expired so I gently told her thanks but no thanks (I might add that yogurt is one of those things I NEVER take a chance with). Came back in later to find she'd given it to her daughter to eat. It's so funny how different people are about expiration dates!!

md said...

Haha that is a funny story Kelly. It is crazy how people are so different. I'm glad to know that I am not the only one out there :)