Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My Great Grandma

Yesterday we laid to rest my wonderful Great Grandma. She was an amazing woman that we will all miss greatly. At the funeral yesterday our family made it a celebration. Although we shared tears of mourning we also were praising God for the wonderful gift he had granted us for so many years. Our family did things a lil different and all that wanted to could share a story or memory they wanted. Although I didn't share one I did have something in mind.

My Great Grandma was a GREAT Grandma. She was a strong, Pioneer woman who loved w/her whole soul. Here are a few memories I have of my Great Grandma. When my sister and I were young, Grandma Day would come up to babysit us while my parents had a date night. One of those times she suggested we go eat at Dog N Shake. So we loaded up into the front seat of her "boat" of a car and headed on our way. After we got done she asked us how to get home. We had of course no idea. So we thought we were lost. We drove around for a while and we finally made it home. To this day I am not really sure if we were really lost or she was just making an adventure for the day. One thing I know is that still a favorite memory of mine.

Another thing about my Grandma Day was her love. When I met my husband he already had 2 wonderful girls. My family welcomed all of them w/open arms and my Grandma Day was no exception. She loved those girls like she had known them their whole lives. Our oldest and Grandma would sit at the table and talk and talk. And although our middle child was shy and quiet Grandma never left her out.

My last memory is of Grandma and lil man. Since lil man knew how to wave he would always find Grandma and wave to her. One of the first things he would do when we got to my grandparent's house would be to go over to the couch where Grandma lay and wave. She would wave back and say hello. It was the cutest and sweetest thing to me. On Sunday night at the viewing lil man saw Grandma and waved one last time. Although he won't remember her that is a story I will tell him so he never forgets.

My Grandma Day was a great woman who loved all of her family and was blessed to be surrounded by them her whole life.

3 comments:

Devion said...

A very sweet tribute to what sounds like an amazing woman! I am sorry for your loss, but glad for HER gain! You are a great testament to what kind of woman she was that her faithfulness to God has passed down from generation to generation. Again, I'm sorry for your sorrow. I know it is hard, but you will see her again someday and that will be a great day!

Kelly T said...

This speaks so nicely of your great grandma. What a blessing to have family like this in our lives!

BR said...

Hi, little miss,
thanks for your sweet comments and also for c's prayer at the funeral. I love you sooo.
Betty Lou